Sydney Opera House

Sydney Opera House
This is where I get to go!

Monday, February 22, 2010

Surf Trip!






So I completely forgot to blog about the surf trip. It was AMAZING. On Friday night a huge green coach bus picks about 40 of us up to go up the coast about 6 hours away for fun and surfing. The people running the camp are all surfer guys who look like they're stoned out of they're minds from the waves. They put on someones ipod and were on our way.
For the first hour and a half every one is chatting and getting to know people on the bus, then we stop at McDonald's to dinner, even though we've just eaten at the school we all buy something because we have a long drive ahead of us. We all drive and watch movies but I put in my ipod and crashed. I was awoken bus a friend when we stopped at our last destination before the camp. A bottle shop to buy booze for the entire weekend. This is when you learn how expensive a 30 pack of cans can be...$50.00. And thats a pretty low price. Bonus is that Australian beer has a higher alcohol content. After forcing about 70 people in the bottle shop which is the size of a closet we all load our purchases back on the bus and take off for the camp.
At about 1 a.m. in the morning I'm woken up again because we have reached our destination! We all unload and follow the surfer dudes to where we will be staying. It's a building with no a/c, used to this by now. Carpeted and has about 25 beds in it, with 4 inch foam mattresses a sheet and a duvet. The other room has bunk beds in it Most of us change our clothes and crash because we have to be up at 7 a.m. for surf lessons. Some stay up and hang out around a fire a drink with the instructors.
At 7 a.m. we are woken up, we change into our suits, eat breakfast and line up to grab a board and head out to the ocean. The boards are very heavy. And for walking longer distances it's easier to share carrying two aboard with a friend. We all get in a circle and practice getting up on a board. And the we spread out and go for it. We were out in the ocean getting pounded by waves for an hour when it started to rain and the tide shifter and started to bring in massive amounts of blue bottles. I was stung on my stomach, legs and arms. When the instructors heard we all got out and waited for the tide to shift eventually it did and it left us 30 minutes to try again. At 10 the other group came down and we all left to wait for lunch.
After lunch we went back out again for 2 more hours where I actually rode a few in on my board! There is nothing that can compare to this feeling of gliding in on a wave. After our turn the other group came out and we went back to take showers and hang out. We played card games and busted into our alcohol preparing for tonight bonfire, even though it was raining at the time. Dinner came and I don't think I have ever been as hungry as I was that night. Everyone drank talked to each other and generally had a great time. Some people got wasted and others like myself got tipsy and passed out in my bed, because I was so tired from surfing it was one of the hardest things I've ever done physically, and we had to be up in the morning to go back out
The next morning I was so tired I though that I would only surf for a half an hour but I ended up surfing for about all but 20 minutes this time I got up and road a wave in for a while it looked awesome. Unfortunately, it had started to sprinkle so the camera guy went to get an umbrella and never got a picture of me standing up on my board. After this we all went back took showers and packed up everything for the trip home.
The surf camp was put on by Mojo and it was defiantly the highlight of my month!

No comments:

Post a Comment